[Tweeters] Seattle-Bainbridge ferry Jaegers

Nathaniel Peters ncpeters at uw.edu
Thu Sep 20 16:05:12 PDT 2018

Howdy Tweets,

I felt like I hit the jackpot today while crossing from Seattle to
Bainbridge on the 9:35AM ferry with 2 jaeger sightings! I’ve never seen
jaegers from a ferry before, and these sightings were quite close.

5 min after leaving the Seattle terminal, a jaeger that struck me as having
a relatively light, buoyant flight, and relatively slim, narrow body, for a
jaeger, flew straight at the boat then past undereath me from about 100
feet away. Through binoculars I noted the dark back, contrasting barring
under the wing and around the tail (beautiful!) with a lighter head and
bright windows on the underwings. There appeared to be a small projection
of the central tail feathers. It felt good for juvenile, light/lighter
morph Long-tailed, but I am very much still a learner when it comes to “the
nuances of jaeger,” and Parasitic could also be possible. I did not think
it had the barrel-chested, heavier appearance of a Pomarine.

Later, 5 min out from the Bainbridge terminal, I saw an adult, light morph
jaeger on the water. It was quite close, maybe 100-150 feet away. It had
a very dark back with light breast and neck and a contrasting dark cap. As
we passed it took flight, showing white windows on the underwing. I felt
it had a bit bigger of a body than the first jaeger, and pointed but not
notably long central tail feathers. This bird felt pretty good to me for
light morph adult Parasiticp ll.

Happy for any comments or questions. I am positive that they were both
jaegers, and am

--
-
May the* F*lu*OR*escen*CE* be with you!