[Tweeters] Jaeger over Puget Sound

edswan2 at comcast.net edswan2 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 20 07:36:07 PDT 2018

I saw you out there. What about the four Orca jumping out of the water between Blake and Bainbridge? Ed

Ed SwanNature writer and guidewww.theswancompany.comedswan2 at comcast.net206.949.3545

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 7:22 AM -0700, "Mike Wagenbach" <wagen at uw.edu> wrote:

Yesterday I was kayaking from Alki Beach to Blake Island and back
between 10 AM and 3 PM with a friend. When we were between 1/2 and 1
mile from Blake, a gull-like bird went by which I only saw from behind
briefly. It appeared to be the size of a medium-large gull, fairly
uniform dark caramel brown on back and tail, clean white below. My
buddy saw it a second or two earlier and said it looked like it had a
chinstrap, but that could have been a breastband. Since the color
seemed off for a gull, I'm trying to make it into a Pomarine Jaeger.
Not a bird I've seen much or recently, so not certain. Sound
reasonable, at all?

Ignoring the white-headed gulls, it was not a very birdy day. One
Western Grebe 100 or 200 yards north of the middle of Alki Beach just
after we put in. Two or three non-Double-Crested cormorants flying over
the middle of the Sound, no pale butt-patch so either juvenile Pelagic
or Brandt's, probably the former. Three D-C Cormorants near Alki as we
returned. A few Caspian Terns, only one of which I saw dive, not sure
if it caught anything. No ducks. No alcids. No raptors; have Osprey
left town for the season?