[Tweeters] Sandhill Cranes at Hayton Preserve today

joaw9 at frontier.com joaw9 at frontier.com
Mon Sep 17 19:37:01 PDT 2018

I observed what I think was a family group, 3 adults and 1 juvenile, working their way along the edge of the water on the far shore. During wetland excitements (Bald Eagles casing the joint, 3 Peregrine Falcons all chasing the same peep, a Red-tailed Hawk, and a couple Northern Harriers cruising by) the 4 Sandhill Cranes would scoot into the tall grass (or corn — too distant to be sure of the vegetation species) and lay low before venturing out to the shore’s edge again. I watched them off and on for the better part of 90 minutes between the hours of 13:50 and 15:55. It was an unexpected treat.
Jo Waldron
Edmonds, WA