Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Sep 6 14:19:07 PDT 2018

Tweets – a gorgeous and birdy day at Marymoor today. I got there a little after 5:00 a.m., and the sky was dark and clear, with brilliant stars (Orion, the Pleiades, etc.) showing well despite a shining crescent moon. Just a little ground fog, no wind, and warm enough that I didn’t even care that we struck out on owls. After sunrise, the birds were out, and there was a lot to see.

Highlights:
a.. Vaux’s Swift – about a dozen in one flock
b.. American Coot – one from Lake Platform; first since April
c.. Osprey – only 1-2, juvenile(s?)
d.. Cooper’s Hawk – one
e.. Red-breasted Sapsucker – several sightings, maybe 4 birds?
f.. Western Wood-Pewee – one at Rowing Club
g.. Willow Flycatcher – at least 3 sightings
h.. Pacific-slope Flycatcher – one, west edge of Dog Meadow
i.. Warbling Vireo – a couple
j.. Barn Swallow – only 2, and no other swallows
k.. Swainson’s Thrush – 2 seen, a few more heard; far fewer than last week
l.. Lincoln’s Sparrow – 1 seen at each of 3 disparate sites
m.. Red-winged Blackbird – 60 or more – large number for Marymoor
n.. Orange-crowned Warbler – one, south of East Meadow
o.. MacGILLIVRAY’S WARBLER – one, hawthorn in NW corner of Dog Area
p.. Common Yellowthroat – still many, including singing adult male(s)
q.. Yellow Warbler – many (6+)
r.. Yellow-rumped Warbler – at least 1
s.. Black-throated Gray Warbler – many (5+)
t.. Western Tanager – at least 1, East Meadow
u.. Black-headed Grosbeak – 2 south of windmill
So a 4-woodpecker, 3-flycatcher, 5-warbler day!

Misses today included Hooded Merganser, Rock Pigeon, gulls, Green Heron, and Violet-green Swallow. Rufous Hummingbirds have apparently all left (on schedule). Bald Eagles are on vacation, as they often are at this season. We could not find a Wilson’s Warbler either; we’ve had them more that 1/3 of the time this week of the year, but not today.

Also had a couple of Mule Deer bucks, and Matt heard a beaver while not hearing owls.

For the day, 56 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com