[Tweeters] Neah Bay and Ocean Shores Update

Jason Vassallo Jason.Vassallo at outlook.com
Sun Sep 2 21:42:13 PDT 2018

Adam Crutcher, Will Brooks and I just returned from a great couple days at Neah Bay and along the coast and thought we should pass on some updates.

The Painted Redstart continued this morning 9/2 after we could not find it yesterday when we checked around 9:45am and in the evening. It seems the odds are much better first thing in the morning, which we tried this morning and successfully found it with a small group of other birders singing and calling up in the canopy where it has been seen before.

We saw the 2 Buff-breasted Sandpipers that have been hanging around the tip of Tsoo-Yess Beach on 9/1, and it sounded like they continued today.

We did some checking of the town and Wa'atch valley this morning but were unable to pull up anything too unusual.

We then drove the coastal route home which included an unsuccessful search for Manx Shearwater at the beach #6 Overlook area, but Will did spot a Black-legged Kittiwake to make up for it.

At the Oyhut game range in Ocean Shores at high tide this evening we found 2 more Buff-breasted Sandpipers, and picked out Pectoral and 2 Red-necked Phalaropes among the decent number of peeps there.

For the final stop of the trip, a quick check of Hoquiam STP yielded a nice Stilt Sandpiper and a Pectoral.

Seems like Buff-breasted are showing up everywhere...

Jason Vassallo
Jason.vassallo at outlook.com