[Tweeters] Buff-breasted Sandpiper yesterday at Mouth of Cedar

Ed Newbold ednewbold1 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 2 10:18:44 PDT 2018

Hi all,
Garret Hayes found a Buff-breasted Sandpiper at the mouth of the Cedar River yesterday afternoon sometime around 4 pm and Curt and Bobby Pearson soon happened by to photograph and confirm the bird.  Delia and I got there after 6 and I got some photos which won't be appearing on the covers of any bird magazines.
I guess I'll say unfortunately at that point two Peregrines came with a very skillful distract-and-capture routine that fooled all of us and resulted in one fewer Sandpipers. There had been about 2 Least Sandpipers, 10 Western Sandpipers, 3 Semipalmated Plovers, the Buff-breasted and about 8 Killdeer.  It may be wishful thinking but I believe I saw the Buff-breasted after this was all over flying around in fast flight, circling back, thinking about landing, and then heading off to the Northeast.
Two of my  shots are at my blog, scroll past the shots of bathers in Butyl Creek.

Ed Newbold | Fall migration up and running at the Creek

| | |

| |

Ed Newbold | Fall migration up and running at the Creek

Thanks all,
Ed Newbold
Beacon Hill Seattle ednewbold1 at yahoo.com