[Tweeters] Okanogan County - Snow Bunting

Ron McCluskey rmcclsky at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 15 16:02:56 PDT 2018

With the reports in the last few weeks of Common Redpoll, Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch and others in the southern end of Okanogan Co., my buddy Gene Wick and I headed to Alta Lake St. Pk. and on to Chelan Ridge.

Alta Lake was fairly birdy, but did not see anything special.

Chelan Ridge was not birdy at all except for groups of Juncos. However, about 2 miles before the trail to the Hawk Watch area we had a small bird suddenly show up running ahead of us in the middle of the road. My first impression was actually of a small plover. But once Gene got glass on it he exclaimed Snow Bunting!

I think it might be a record for early date for that species in the county. Don't see a middle stripe on the bar graph for Oct. on Ebird.

Gene has photos of another bird we could not ID on the camera view and may post that later.

Snow bunting photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31035468@N03/44435412585/

If you want to check Gene's photos later:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93472421@N07/

Ron McCluskey
rmcclsky at mindspring dot com