[Tweeters] Lewis County 10-6

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 7 05:10:51 PDT 2018

Hey Tweets,

Kevin Black and I met up on Saturday to see what October has brought to Lewis County. We were met with beautiful weather and some interesting birds.

I tried Centralia-Alpha Road for owls on the way to meeting Kevin in Mossyrock. October seems to bring out Northern Saw-whet Owls, so they were my main target for the morning. I missed them, but did get one each of Great Horned and Western Screech-Owl.

After trying unsuccessfully for the Red-shouldered Hawk reported by Roger Moyer between Randle and Packwood, Kevin and I visited the East end of Riffe Lake. Again, with October on us, we had hopes for a Lapland Longspur showing up somewhere in the fields, or on the beach, but found none, so they still aren't on the Lewis County list! Dozens of Savannah Sparrows were found in the fields, and were especially skulky. We had a few American Pipit flyovers in the fields as well. Viewing the water, we found a good bunch of gulls on a sandbar, with nearly all of them turning out to be California, with a couple of Ring-billed mixed in, and one Long-billed Dowitcher. Western and Horned Grebes, and 5 Common Loons were found out in the lake.

Swofford Pond was an interesting stop. Although we are still missing Greater Scaup from our lists for the year, we had good variety, with Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, Hooded Merganser, Northern Pintail, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler, and Mallard. 5 Greater White-fronted Geese also flew onto the pond while we were scoping. Nearby, we finally added Sharp-shinned Hawk to the year list, and found a Common Yellowthroat still hanging around.

Not much of interest showed up at the Trout Hatchery or Carlisle Pond. We stopped in Chehalis for a late lunch at Jeremy's Farm to Table, and spent an awful lot of time staring at what may have been a male Brewer's Blackbird that just happened to look a little different than every other BRBL there - still need to stare at the pictures a little more. Hilburger Pond nearby had us staring at five Long-billed Dowitchers, and we were pretty sure in the end that no Short-billed were mixed in. The mud on the edges of the pond is pretty good, and at a time of year when many of the previously flooded fields in the county are pretty well dried up.

Galvin Road gave us a dozen or more Western Meadowlarks, and I hit the Centralia Steam Plant on the way back home, with 8 Canvasback, and 8 Greater White-fronted Geese being the highlights there.

Happy birding!

Tim Brennan

Renton