[Tweeters] Blue Morph Snow Goose

HAL MICHAEL ucd880 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 30 15:01:22 PST 2018

Blue morph is most common on the Central Flyway. I think they are the most common morph there. Decline a bunch as one moves west. Saw quite a few in New Mexico (Bosque del Apache); not common but quite a few.

They seem to be getting more common on the Pacific Coast, at least in WA. If that is the case, and numbers aren't also showing up in CA, then the Blues are coming only off of Wrangell Island.

Years and years ago I read that the blue morph was a response to decrease snow cover on the breeding grounds. Less snow, more dark background, and the dark morph is favored.

Hal Michael
Science Outreach Director, Sustainable Fisheries Foundation
Olympia WA
360-459-4005
360-791-7702 (C)
ucd880 at comcast.net