[Tweeters] birding bonanza-swans

Martha Jordan mj.cygnus at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 19:04:25 PST 2018

If you have a hankering for an amazing photo opportunity or just want to
surround yourself with a symphony of swans and geese on a night roost, the
Bob Heirman Wildlife Park just south of Snohomish is the place this week.
In fact, tomorrow morning and evening as it likely will not be raining.
Tonight, 1,068 swans came into the roost, some flying directly
overhead no more than 100 feet up. The vast majority were Trumpeter Swans.
Their wing sounds, the swooshing, the loud trumpeting calls.... all kept
repeating over and over as small groups came in from several directions
over an 45 minute period. I really enjoyed a rarely heard sound: when
swans flip up to loose speed and altitude quickly, their wings make a loud
whuuummmp sound in addition to the wing whistle. When they land you can
hear their feet and swoosh of water, and all of their socializing calls
echo around.

The group had a few tundra swans and a few Canada Geese.

The next spectacle will be tomorrow morning as they all take off from the
roost for their daily feeding. That is another spectacle.

So for those of you with good to great cameras and lenses, get out there
and enjoy a different view of swans.

Let me know what you find when you visit the site. (Off Connelly Road,
south of the Kenwanda Golf Course- go under the railroad trestle, then the
next left is the park.)
Martha