Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Nov 15 14:06:02 PST 2018

Tweets – A really nice day at the park today, under a little overcast but warm, windless, and very birdy for the first few hours. The biggest highlights were a RED-NAPED x RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER and a SWAMP SPARROW!

Highlights:
a.. Cackling Goose – huge flock (1200+) eventually landed just east of main park entrance
b.. Wood Duck – female at Rowing Club
c.. Common Goldeneye – female seen from Lake Platform – First of Fall (FOF)
d.. Green Heron – Rowing Club pond yet again
e.. Red-tailed Hawk – I counted 6 – quite a lot, really
f.. Great Horned Owl – Matt heard many calls predawn – FOF
g.. RED-NAPED x RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER – in Big Cottonwood Forest south of the dog area
h.. Hairy Woodpecker – female at Rowing Club
i.. Merlin – One streaked past just after 7:30
j.. PEREGRINE FALCON – one flapped past the Viewing Mound just before 7:30
k.. Northern Shrike – Adult across the street north of Viewing Mound
l.. Cedar Waxwing – only a few today
m.. Lincoln’s Sparrow – two at Viewing Mound blackberries
n.. SWAMP SPARROW – we got great looks at one just below the weir
o.. Western Meadowlark - 6+ in Triangle Wetland north of Fields 7-8-9
p.. Yellow-rumped Warbler – one
This was our first SWAMP SPARROW sighting since 2013, and about our 12th ever. It was very cooperative, coming closer and closer, eventually giving everyone good looks. It was in the shrubs around the main channel of the slough, maybe 20 yards below (north of) the weir.

The RED-NAPED x RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER was maybe even more cooperative, giving us a long series of views which allowed many plumage details to be noted. It looked almost good for Red-naped, with two rows of white barring on the back, a black bib bordering the bottom of the red chin/throat, but it had too much red on the back of the head to be pure, and not enough of a complete white swoosh back from the bill. This is only the 5th time such a hybrid has been noted at Marymoor.

Misses for the day were Northern Shoveler, Ring-necked Duck, Hooded Merganser, Virginia Rail, Ring-billed Gull (though we had many unidentified gulls, so...), Bushtit, Purple Finch, and Pine Siskin, all of which have been seen at least 12 of the last 24 years.

But we did end up with 59 species for the day, plus the Sapsucker hybrid. It really was a fabulous day.