[Tweeters] Skagit Harlan's

Marv Breece marvbreece at q.com
Wed Nov 7 12:35:50 PST 2018

Over the years I have seen a number of Harlan's Red-tailed Hawks in Washington. I have found them to be very shy of people and as a result much more difficult to photograph than our typical (if there is such a thing) Western Red-tailed Hawk. A video (split into 2 for Flickr) I took on 11.5.18 shows a particular Harlan's to be not so shy when it comes to other raptors. There is always a danger of confusing facts with interpretation, but I am going to stick my neck out. The Harlan's in the video appeared to leave its perch on the ground to intercept a passing Northern Harrier. These 2 birds mixed it up a bit and then the Harlan's replaced a Western Red-tail on its perch as the Harrier departed. Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138163614@N02/

I also added videos of the Snow Buntings at Hayton Reserve. They were so tame, all I had to do was stand still and they approached me. It's nice to photograph a bird approaching as opposed to departing. By the way, to my knowledge, no one observed the Tropical Kingbird on 11.5 that was reported earlier.

--
Marv Breece
Tukwila, WA
marvbreece at q.com

"what are the costs to a society of an entire population conditioned to spend so much of their waking lives not in concentration and focus but rather in fragmentary awareness and subject to constant interruption?" - The Attention Merchants by Tim Wu