[Tweeters] Pine Grosbeak & Townsend's Solitaire on Orcas Island, Sat 3/31

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 31 20:04:48 PDT 2018

Hi Tweets -
I spent today on Orcas Island — while I dipped on the hoped-for-and-ever-elusive Black-capped Chicadee, I had a couple other decent sightings and a great spring day overall.

Townsend’s Solitaire - at Cayou Bay, just north and west of the bridge
Pine Grosbeak! - 2 of them at the Crescent Beach Preserve - they were quite low down, feeding in a tree along the road across from Crescent Beach — this was a little east of the Kayak Rental place and a little west of the pull-out. Alex Patia came by later in the day and was unable to relocate them, but perhaps they are still around —
Other than singing Yellow-rumped Warblers, Mt. Constitution was pretty quiet — plenty of Turkey Vultures overhead, along with Bald Eagles and a couple Red-tailed Hawks soaring in the warmth.

Good spring birding,

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA