[Tweeters] Are our "early" Ospreys not "arriving", but only "passing through"?

Kelly McAllister mcallisters4 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 31 16:11:24 PDT 2018

In the 1981-1984 period I participated in aerial surveys of bald eagle nests in western Washington and we would occasionally encounter an osprey perched on or very close to an existing osprey nest in the April 10-15 period. I always thought that these were birds that would eventually nest at those sites. To me, they seemed to be the earliest arrivals and active nesting was still weeks away.

I’ve been in Virginia and seeing osprey at several locations since March 23rd. The first one I saw I thought quite significant but now I’m thinking this is simply when they arrive here on the east coast.

Kelly McAllister

Olympia