[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 30 March 2018

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Fri Mar 30 21:17:28 PDT 2018

Although there was a brisk south wind on and near the lake, elsewhere the morning was quite pleasant, with temps starting in the mid-40s. I’ve been monitoring the Barn Owl nest boxes without any action this year, likely due to the ongoing construction/remodel of the living quarters at the park. But, there was a Barn Owl perched adjacent the original, large nest box in the conifers on 62nd, so maybe they will be indifferent to the activity nearby. There were a number of other notables as well.

Common Loon - first of the year, just north of the swim beach
Cooper’s Hawk - the female continues busy on Promontory Point, working on last year’s nest
Wilson’s Snipe - by the children’s garden; first time I’ve had one there
Barn Owl - perched by the original nest box on 62nd
Anna’s Hummingbird - at least 16 birds! 4 females sitting on nests, another was perched nearby a nest where one bird fledged in the last days and yet another was starting work on a new nest on Promontory Point
https://youtu.be/RVs6jgRlyt8
Hutton’s Vireo - one calling on Kite Hill; these are uncommon at the park but have started showing up in small numbers
Bushtit - only 3; all males, each seen in a different location, each alone, at least when I was there
Yellow-rumped Warbler - males of both Myrtle and Audubon’s are looking pretty spiffy now
Townsend’s Warbler - bright male on Promontory Point
Savannah Sparrow - good numbers, singing
Pine Siskin - a couple still around

For the day 58 species; with COLO new, 78 species for the year.
Scott Ramos
Seattle