[Tweeters] Band-tailed Pigeons - migratory??

Bob Sundstrom ixoreus at scattercreek.com
Thu Mar 29 16:11:29 PDT 2018

Here’s a bit of what Birds of North America Online has to say on migration in Band-tails. In a nutshell, most migrate and small local populations hang out in urban areas all year where there are feeders, etc,

Partial migrant; most from n. Pacific Coast breeding range migrate south of Sonoma-Nevada Cos., CA (≤40°N), and most from northern interior range migrate beyond U.S.-Mexico border (≤32°N).
Present year-round in some northern urban centers where attracted to feeders and holly orchards (Ilex spp.; e.g., Vancouver and se. Vancouver I., British Columbia; Campbell et al. 1990a; Puget Sound and Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Jewett et al. 1953, Silovsky 1969); unknown whether these are nonmigratory or if they move in from outlying forest.

Bob Sundstrom

Sent from my iPhone