[Tweeters] Banded Lesser Snow Goose

Kevin Lucas vikingcove at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:13:39 PDT 2018

Robert,

Check out the first two images at:

http://nwbirdblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/canada-goose-neck-bands.html

It appears the flat part of the 8 is the bottom, based on the adjacent
characters -- a 7 on one band and an F on another.

Based on that, my take is that the band in your photo would be 81 (eight
one) vertical, with a horizontal 0 or O. (I typed the number zero, then a
capital letter o.)

In the submission form they also have provision to note which characters
are vertical, and which are horizontal.

A Tundra Swan I spotted at Grandview Wastewater Treatment Facility (Yakima
County) in August of 2015 had it's neck band right at water level, giving a
perfect mirror reflection, doubling the number of characters and flipping
half. It also had the character for the letter theta. For a while that was
truly Greek to me. (Sorry) It turned out to be the leucistic Theta 50 that
was seen not long ago on the west side of the Cascades.

Regards,
Kevin Lucas
Selah, WA

listing.aba.org/ethics/