[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon trip to Kittitas on 23 March 18

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Sat Mar 24 11:06:17 PDT 2018

Hi Tweets

Yesterday, Seattle Audubon took a trip to Kittitas County to search out Sage
birds. We started out early with just a hint of dawn, overcast skies and
temp. of 37F. Our first bird of the day was a singing SONG SPARROW in
Issaquah. As we progressed along I-90 we picked up AMERICAN CROW, AMERICAN
ROBIN, and RED-TAILED HAWK. At Snoqualmie Pass we saw COMMON RAVEN, the
temp. had dropped to 30F and it was trying to spit a little snow.

As we progressed eastward the clouds began to break up and the temp. rose to
39 and in the Cle Elum area we found BALD EAGLE, COMMON RAVEN, CANADA GOOSE,
and AMERICAN CROW. A bit further east on I-90 there was a BALD EAGLE. In the
Elk Heights area we ran across COMMON RAVEN, MALLARD, BUFFLEHEAD (on small
pond), BALD EAGLE, COOPER'S HAWK, RED-TAILED HAWK, BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE,
EUROPEAN STARLING.

Further east along the I-90 ponds area we saw CANADA GOOSE, RED-TAILED HAWK,
MALLARD, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, and BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE. As we got closer to
Ellensburg there were GREAT BLUE HERON and EUROPEAN STARLING.

In Kittitas we saw GREAT BLUE HERON, BREWER'S BLACKBIRD, BLACK-BILLED
MAGPIE, HOUSE SPARROW, KILLDEER, EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, RED-WINGED
BLACKBIRD, RED-TAILED HAWK and AMERICAN ROBIN and it started to snow small
flakes. This continued until we got up to the Wild Horse Wind Farm area.

Outside of Kittitas we turned on Caribou Rd. and even with the snow reducing
visibility we saw a large group of CALIFORNIA QUAIL just at the turn onto
Caribou and also a NORTHERN FLICKER, along the road we found HOUSE SPARROW,
MOURNING DOVE, RED-TAILED HAWK, COMMON RAVEN, AMERICAN ROBIN, SONG SPARROW,
GREAT BLUE HERON and HOUSE FINCH,

Along the Vantage Hwy (still snowing) we found BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE,
EUROPEAN STARLING, RED-TAILED-HAWK, CALIFORNIA QUAIL, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD,
AMERICAN KESTREL and HORNED LARK (two birds in the center of the road).

We turned on Parke Creek Rd. and saw EUROPEAN STARLING, AMERICAN ROBIN,
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, COMMON MERGANSER, MALLARD,
GREEN-WINGED TEAL, NORTHERN PINTAIL and KILLDEER with most of the birds at
the pond.

Back onto Vantage Hwy and up to the entrance to the Wild Horse Wind Farm
(luckily the wind was only about 3 mph - yaay) - WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW ( a
frustrating bird crawling along the ground and giving small glimpses), after
much work we managed to get good looks at our target bird - SAGEBRUSH
SPARROW, and also heard WESTERN MEADOWLARK.

As we dropped down the hill it cleared and became sunny. As we drove along
beside the Quilomene Wildlife Area we saw WESTERN MEADOWLARK, WESTERN
BLUEBIRD and a pair of MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDs perched along the fence line in
bright sun under ideal lighting conditions.

Down to Recreation Dr./Rocky Coulee Recreation Area where we saw COMMON
RAVEN, GREATER SCAUP, COMMON GOLDENEYE, LESSER SCAUP (on the Columbia
River), CANADA GOOSE, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, AMERICAN ROBIN, HOUSE FINCH and
SAY'S PHOEBE. There were a couple of gulls on the river, one RING-BILLED
GULL and a probable HERRING GULL.

Up the hill to Gingko State Park Interpretive Center (now open on weekends)
and a pair of AMERICAN KESTRELs, WESTERN MEADOWLARK, a pair of SAY'S
PHOEBE, GREATER SCAUP, HORNED GREBE, COMMON LOON. Our temperature had
climbed to 40F.

We drove south along Huntzinger Rd. and saw AMERICAN CROW, EUROPEAN
STARLING, AMERICAN KESTREL, VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW, TREE SWALLOW with the wind
starting to pick up. At The Cove there were GREATER SCAUP, LESSER SCAUP,
KILLDEER, BUFFLEHEAD, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, BALD EAGLE, RED-TAILED HAWK,
COMMON RAVEN, VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW, and the wind was now about 10-15 mph and
becoming a nuisance.

A quick stop below Wanapum Dam to check out for Rock Wren (no luck) but even
better we saw on the same rocks a CHUKAR!

Back heading west on I-90 there were COMMON RAVEN, BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE,
GREAT HORNED OWL (on nest), GREAT BLUE HERON, RED-TAILED HAWK, and ROCK
PIGEON. At the Pond along I-90 there was a large group of COMMON MERGANSER,
and also GADWALL and MALLARD

In Ellensburg we drove up Umtanum Rd. with EUROPEAN STARLING, AMERICAN
ROBIN, NOTHERN HARRIER and MOUNTAI CHICKADEE. A quick stop along Durr Rd and
SAY'S PHOEBE.

As we left Ellensburg we took State Route 10 thru the canyon and picked up
BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE, RED-TAILED HAWK, TURKEY VULTURE, AMERICAN ROBIN,
STELLER'S JAY, AMERICAN DIPPER (a quick look at the Teanaway River) and
SONG SPARROW

In Cle Elum we took Charter Rd. (Railroad Ponds) and saw PIED-BILLED GREBE,
ROCK PIGEON, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON MERGANSER, PACIFIC
WREN, DARK-EYED JUNCO, BALD EAGLE, TURKEY VULTURE, MALLARD. It is noticeable
that most of the large snags (home to Pygmy Nuthatch) have all fallen down.

As we crossed over Snoqualmie Pass we ran into some rain that continued
until almost Issaquah. As we pulled into the Tibbetts/Issaquah P&R we added
ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD.

A good day with good folks and we wound up with 54 (possibly 55) species.

Good Birding!

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville WA

mail to bell asoc a t iso me dia dot com