[Tweeters] R.F.I Birding SW Colorado (STEVEN ELLIS)

Jane Hadley hadleyj1725 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:17:40 PDT 2018

Steven Elllis asked for information about birding in southwest Colorado
and northern New Mexico. Specifically, he is interested in seeing Scaled
Quail and Grace's Warbler.

Those who are planning birding trips can use Birder's Dashboard to scout
out recent sightings of species they're targeting.

Go to http://birdingwashington.info/dashboard/

( For cellphones, use http://birdingwashington.info/dashboard/md )

Select Colorado. Where it says choose a subregion, you can select a
county or you can search all of Colorado.

Then click on "Look for a species" and select your desired species.

It shows most sightings of Scaled Quail in Colorado are in the southeast
part of the state, especially near Pueblo and Canon City.

In New Mexico, most sightings are near Santa Fe and Albuquerque,
probably because that's where there are concentrations of birders. But
there is a recent sighting at the Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge,
which isn't too far from the Colorado border and is along US-25, so easy
to reach.

As for Grace's Warbler, it is not shown in the list for either state
because it has not been seen in either in the last 30 days; it has not
yet arrived from the south. But my husband and I saw one in late April
in Bandelier National Monument a couple years ago. It was in the
deciduous (I think Cottonwood) trees along the bottom of the canyon.

Good luck!

Jane Hadley
Seattle, WA