[Tweeters] Harlequin Duck Walla Walla Co.

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Wed Mar 7 20:54:03 PST 2018

Hello all,

Spent this beautiful spring day birding with Steve Pink - one of the
highlights being the continuing male HARLEQUIN DUCK below Ice Harbor
Dam. Popped up as we arrived and surprised us as several birders looked
for it over the weekend with no luck - including us.

2 male MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS were along Wooden road for a nice yearbird!
One AMERICAN TREE SPARROW continues on Donnelly Rd.

COMMON REDPOLLS feed in the star thistle patches - we found 18 on Wooden
Road. Last Saturday we found over 50 on Barstow Road.

Goldfinches were abundant today - many flocks over 50 birds - with
NORTHERN SHRIKES harassing them in 3 locations.

A walk around Fishhook Park yielded 5 Saw-whet Owls and 8 continuing
PURPLE FINCHES - with one seeming to add material to a small twig nest
and sit in it???? Will be checking on that again soon!

On Hanson Loop Rd near McNary NWR we stopped and scoped the field -
counted 98 KILLDEER, 16 AMERICAN PIPITS along with many blackbirds and
juncos. Ten GREAT EGRETS were east of HQ along the shoreline. RUDDY
DUCKS are molting - saw one with a bright blue bill!

Only ONE Snow Goose today - at Fishhook Park - waterfowl numbers way
down - gone north already.

Stopped to look for Curlew with no luck - would have tied our early
arrival date. And NO Swallows.

Happy spring birding, M&ML

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley