[Tweeters] Pileated Woodpecker eating huckleberries

Anne O. harelde at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:12:36 PDT 2018

I'd never seen a pileated woodpecker eat berries off a bush until today. This afternoon, I watched one of these birds fly down repeatedly into a red huckleberry bush in my backyard and pluck berries from it. The whole bush was swaying under the weight of the woodpecker as it perched precariously on the small branches. It was 89 degree F at the time and the bird was panting. Maybe it found the berries refreshing.

Anne Outlaw (Monroe, WA)