[Tweeters] Request for information - Owls

Robert DeCandido PhD rdcny at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 13:52:55 PDT 2018

Hello Tweeters,

Deborah Allen and I will be visiting Bellingham from about 11 July
through 2 August...and we are interested in hearing about any good
locations in that area for Flammulated Owl (Otus flammeolus), Boreal
Owl (Aegolius funereus) as well as Western Screech-owl (Otus
kennicottii). We would like to know the best places to look for these
two species - for example what parks/trails near Bellingham (within
100 - 200 miles) have people found any of these species?

Yes we realize/know how controversial telling anyone about owl
locations can be...but we are scientists with a bunch of
ornithology/botany publications on international topics (raptor
migration in Thailand, Malaysia and Nepal - we have worked there
since 1998) and other scientific papers about birds/plants where we
live in NYC. We have two publications on owls...The Owls of NYC
1860-present and the History of the Eastern Screech-owl in NYC from
1860-present...email us if interested to know/read more.

For the folks that might be perturbed at this request see this
article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/opinion/sunday/owl-watching.html -
The delicate politics of chasing owls. Also, some might be familiar
with Kevin McGowan PhD at Cornell - see his comments below.

Deborah Allen
Robert DeCandido PhD

www.BirdingBob.com
===========================
Re:[nysbirds-l] The delicate politics of chasing owls.
Kevin J. McGowan Sat, 20 Jan 2018 17:14:43 -0800
https://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/msg23408.html

I agree with the logic of this article, and have made the same
argument for years. Owls are not particularly vulnerable to
disturbance, and they are spectacular ambassadors to non-birders. Do
you know how many Northern Saw-whet and Boreal owls exist in the
world, and how few ever encounter people (other than, perhaps,
over-exuberant banders ;^))? One in a publicly-available spot can
generate so much goodwill that, as an educator, I would argue to
disturb its sleep a few times so that people can experience it.

It's boils down to the old saw: people only protect what they love,
and they don't love anything they don't know. And, I would add that
the best way to learn to love owls is to actually see one
face-to-face in the wild.

But, from my experience on this issue, people seem to have become
almost as religious in their views as the cats-as-predators one. I am
happy to see a logical, not emotional public piece about it, nonetheless.

That's my humble opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree. Just saying...

Kevin