[Tweeters] Common Nighthawk Sounds

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Mon Jun 4 13:08:55 PDT 2018

"Peent !”

With all of this Tweetertalk about nighthawks declining and reappearing, I’d like to add my name to the short, but growing list of those who have recently had signs of them (or of one). For at least a week now, I’m hearing that call I’ve recognized as the flight call of a nighthawk. I kept telling myself it was ‘just’ one of those thrushes, particularly the Hermit Thrush (which I’ve ID’d in my yard this spring). But today, I went online in search of the sounds that nighthawks make, and, lo and behold, I almost let out a “peent” myself. Swear I’ve got a flyover Nighthawk! Can’t see to the sky much at my place, so no sighting…YET. Maybe I’ll try Magnuson Park in the evening - that’s where I’ve, within the past 5 years, both heard and seen a solitary NIHA (?)

It was this recording that just brought me to attention - and note that the individual bird pictured, is doing the ‘flight’ call while perched ! So do I have to look at every branch in my woods ? They lie on branches during the day I’m told - have seen photos of them doing such.

What a ‘daymaker’, this.

The link:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Nighthawk/sounds <https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Nighthawk/sounds>

Barb Deihl