[Tweeters] Cooper's vs. Sharp-shinned - backyard nest

Emily Birchman stollea at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:37:00 PDT 2018

Hello all,

I have a friend who lives in Bothell, and she and her husband have a hawk
nest in their back yard! Their property backs up to a greenbelt type area,
and is heavily wooded. I got to see the nest this past week, and examined
the pictures they've taken (unfortunately while some were taken with a
regular camera, they are still not super clear photos). The birds were away
while I was visiting (sounds like the young have fledged) but based on the
photos and the audio recording they got, I'm confident it's either a
cooper's or a sharp-shinned. Based solely on the audio recording of the
birds calling to each other, we all agree it *sounds* like a sharp-shinned
hawk. However none of us is sure how reliable that is in terms of a solid
identification.

I don't have an easy way to share the picture I have from them other than
via email. If anyone is interested in looking at the photo and seeing if
you can positively ID the bird for us, let me know and I will gladly send
it along!

sincerely,
Emily Birchman, Kenmore WA