[Tweeters] More White Pelicans in Edmonds

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 21:06:53 PDT 2018

This evening, about 8:10 p.m. a broad vee of 75 American White Pelicans flew north along the Edmonds Bowl, remaining at a high altitude. I watched from the marsh and it looked as if they followed Edmonds Way/SR 104 down the hill and then headed north through Edmonds. When I saw them from Water Street two years ago, a smaller number were crossing from Mukilteo to the south end of Whidbey Island. Given that they are not as accustomed to large expanses of saltwater, as are Brown Pelicans, I wondered if they were heading north for a crossing to Whidbey and back to Deer Lagoon for the night. There are a couple of photos in this ebird checklist:

https://ebird.org/pnw/view/checklist/S47343014

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA