[Tweeters] Fwd: NIsqually NWR 1/24/18

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 15:26:14 PST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Phil Kelley <scrubjay323 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:17 PM
Subject: NIsqually NWR 1/24/18
To: Dennis & Bonnie <dennisweeks1 at cox.net>, Glynnis Nakai
<glynnis_nakai at fws.gov>, Marian Bailey <Marian_Bailey at fws.gov>, Teresa
Hertzel <Nancy.hertzel at gmail.com>, Tweeters
<tweeters at u.washington.edu>, Phil Kelley <scrubjay323 at gmail.com>

Tweets,

Today 20 of us braved a threatening day to bird Nisqually NWR. The day
turned out better than expected with the rain holding off until about
12:30. We had a 14.4 high tide at 10:31 AM so we had lots of water in
the reclamation area.

Highlights included the continuing SAW-WHET OWL and a EURASIAN WIGEON,

With the recent rains there was water everywhere on the refuge and
waterfowl were scattered throughout. The EURASIAN WIGEON was out in
the reclamation area with a flock of AMERICAN WIGEON. Also in that
area was a HOODED MERGANSER, GADWALL, PINTAIL, MALLARDS, and GREEN-WINGED TEAL.

There were several RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS on McAllister Creek and a
couple of COMMON MERGANSERS on the Nisqually River.

There was only 1 GREAT HORNED OWL visible over the beaver dam today so
perhaps nesting has started. Here's hoping.

For the day I saw 47 species and now have 51 for the year. Mammals
seen included BLACK-TAILED DEER, GRAY SQUIRREL, and MUSKRAT. Some of
the early arrivals saw a BEAVER at the visitor center.

Until next week when Shep and Eric will lead in my absence....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA