Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jan 18 19:51:27 PST 2018

Tweets – it was quite wonderful to be at Marymoor today under mostly sunny skies, after last week’s soaking. The birds seemed pretty happy too, though this time of year is fairly quiet intrinsically. But a few birds are beginning to perk up and at least sense that spring is not too far off. No precipitation, only moderate wind, and warm enough not to be cold.

Highlights:
a.. Wood Duck – three males from Lake Platform
b.. American Wigeon – small flyby flock predawn, identified by flight call – First for 2018
c.. Western Grebe – two FAR out from Lake Platform
d.. California Gull – one, first for 2018. Lots of Mews and a few Ring-billed
e.. Green Heron – one flew down the slough; I may have seen the feet
f.. Barn Owl – three sightings, best at 7:27 a.m., from Viewing Mound
g.. Red-breasted Sapsucker – one at Rowing Club, new for 2018
h.. Hairy Woodpecker – one in old Heronry cottonwoods, new for 2018
i.. Pileated Woodpecker – one to the west south of Dog Area
j.. Cedar Waxwing – loose flock in short trees in Dog Meadow – maybe 35
At the Rowing Club, of of the four GREEN-WINGED TEAL was quite interesting. Mostly it looked male, with the bicolored head, gray back, and a breast that was close to the same as the two typical males. However, the sides were covered with the kind of brown mottled feathers very much like on the typical female nearby. The bird probably looked 3/4th male, and 1/4th female, but my guess is that it is a female showing extreme male plumage characteristics. It *seemed* to be paired with one of the males. I should have photos on the blog by Monday evening.

Several species were singing quietly today, testing out their vocal chords, as it were: BEWICK’S WREN, PACIFIC WREN, AMERICAN ROBIN, HOUSE FINCH, SONG SPARROW, and RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD.

Misses today included Ring-necked Duck, Common Merganser, Downy Woodpecker, Steller’s Jay, Purple Finch, American Goldfinch, and Lincoln’s Sparrow. Of those, we’re missing all but the merganser for 2018. THAT’S RIGHT – WE HAVEN’T HAD A DOWNY YET THIS YEAR! We must be lousy birders.

For the day we had 55 species, which is not bad for January. For 2018, we added 4 to bring us to 66 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com