[Tweeters] Coastal crossbills

Robert O'Brien baro at pdx.edu
Tue Jan 16 23:45:24 PST 2018

Hi Bill-
Do you have a reference for a widespread lack of cones?
Here on the northern Oregon coast, we had a very large Sitka Spruce Cone
Crop
but in January, at least, these seeds all seem to have dropped and the
crossbills
(both species) are feeding, in my limited experience. on Shore Pine seeds
that
are fairly abundant. Maybe others in Oregon (or Washington) can comment
on crossbill food sources in 2017 as I didn't make it to the coast until
January.
I'll forward this to OBOL since I'm sure people here will be interested in
your eBird article.
Best regards,
Bob OBrien PDX