[Tweeters] Iggly (Eagly) Time in Samish Flats - Sun. Jan 14

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Tue Jan 16 11:31:42 PST 2018

a few late afternoon hours (2:30-5) on the first predicted sunny and warmish day in a long while. Around the time I got onto Chuckanut Drive, I started hearing and seeing hundreds of swans, both airborne and in fields along the roads. I only started pulling over when big raptors started being visible on posts, wires, trees, etc. My first camera action came at that point, specifically near Sunset and Bayview Edison Rds and in the town of Edison. Didn't stop with the crowds that were parking up and down the roads, even though many of those folks were looking to find a Prairie Falcon. So I never saw one (either there or at W-90). As I was out to allay my cabin fever, I cared not to get involved in much chase behavior - was very happy just to re-visit the area and whatever pretty sights and non-human beings it offered up. Not at all disappointed with the experience. Click on specific photos if you want any particulars. - there are descriptions with most. An exciting birdy finale to the day, when driving away from a place near Bow where some friends and I had dinner, there was a burst of white that flew out of a tree, likely a hunting a Barn Owl - no photo of it did I get, just an image that stayed in my mind until I reached I-5 and then I had to concentrate on seeing the road through the thick fog.
The Merlin and the Barn Owl produced enough thrills for me - the PRFA, RLHA and SEOW can be for another trip :-) Snow Geese were all out in the water - never saw or heard any - just had reports from others.
A good time seemed to be had by all.

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net

Flickr photos and descriptions: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAsLNjR