[Tweeters] WA Birder county excel sheet updated for the new year

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 20:41:50 PST 2018

Hello again!

Michael Hobbs and I have updated the WA Birder Excel spreadsheet combining all the county codes in a sheet that allows you to tally your county totals [and do a bunch of other fun things]. Both the ‘enhanced’ version and the plain version are available at the Washington Birder website at:

http://wabirder.com/combined_county_list.html <http://wabirder.com/combined_county_list.html>

New this year, in addition to state and county firsts and some updates of a couple county abundance codes [mostly in Yakima & Cowlitz], we’ve added a couple other things: a. ‘date updated’ notations on the county needs lists, the map, etc.; b.totals for Eastern & Western WA are now shown on the map page; and c.total ticks are listed on the map page. Nothing major, but still fun to tweak.

Every year since 2003 I've updated this checklist, adding new species and county firsts, and revising it to comply with the latest taxonomic updates produced by the AOS & ABA. This year, the taxonomic sequence changed a good bit again — if you’d like to delve into the reasoning behind the AOS/ABA sequence changes, one place to look is a recent article I wrote for WOS News: http://wos.org/documents/wosnws/wosnews168.pdf#page=12 <http://wos.org/documents/wosnws/wosnews168.pdf#page=12> (“Revisions to the Washington State Checklist” ).

If you are looking for a color-coded way to track your county lists and/or see how abundant any species is in a given county, give the list a try.

With the 'enhanced' spreadsheet, you can generate county needs lists, see which counties you've seen or need any given species, and more. Instructions on using the spreadsheet are on the same page <http://wabirder.com/combined_county_list.html> linked above.

Instructions on transferring your data from an older copy of your spreadsheet to the new one are included at the website as well.

We look forward to feedback or suggestions, and would be happy to help troubleshoot problems if you run across them.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA