[Tweeters] Skagit Gyrfalcon yes

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 20:14:23 PST 2018

Dear Tweeters,
Today (15 January 2018), a number of birders and I tried without success to relocate the Gyrfalcon on Fir Island. The WDFW access just east of the North Fork bridge offers a good vantage from which to scope toward the southeast, giving views of the big, isolated conifer where I was told the Gyrfalcon had perched yesterday. Bald Eagles kept the perch to themselves most of this afternoon.
Trying to stake that falcon out at the Polson Road 90-degree bend itself might seem like a good idea, but the wildlife access offers more room to park safely, plus an elevated area that commands a view of much of the agriculture land on that corner of the island.
After giving up on Fir Island, I drove north, only to stumble onto the Gyrfalcon on Downey Road, between LaConner-Whitney Road and Channel Drive. This was at 1655, right around sundown. The bird was perched on a telephone pole on the north side of the road, east of the big agri-business that is halfway along this road.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch