[Tweeters] Acorn Woodpecker at Ft. Simcoe

Kerry Turley kdturley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 17:47:25 PST 2018

Hey Tweets,  I received report yesterday from Yakima birder Andy
McClelland, who was birding Ft. Simcoe State Park with Walla Walla
birder Ralph Trethewer, saying they had found an Acorn Woodpecker. This
is a rare (5 or less) bird for Yakima County and might be the only
winter record.
I went out this morning and re-found and was able to photograph the
bird. It was in the picnic area of the park near the mouth of the mool
mool spring and restrooms.
Be aware that the gate is closed but you are allowed to walk in and
bird. There is an electric fence that was put in to keep the wild horses
out and you will have to go under it. I parked in the maintenance
parking area just west of the main gate and walked down the driveway to
the park thus not having to deal with the fence.
I've posted a photos on the YVAS Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/yakimaaudubon/