[Tweeters] Wahkiakum Co. Lesser Goldfinch, and a goal met at the end of the year

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 20:47:37 PST 2018

Awesome - congrats! Bit of bad timing getting the 39th 200th with 60ish
hours left over in 2018. It's like you didn't even try to build the
tension. :)

Maybe some day I'll get to 39x155...

- Michael

On Dec 29, 2018 8:42 PM, "MaryFrances Mathis" <mf.mathis at comcast.net> wrote:

Nice, Matt!! Congrats! I’ve done so little birding this year, it will take
me forever to reach your (and Tom’s) goal. But someday...

Ciao,
MF

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 29, 2018, at 7:01 PM, Tom Mansfield <birds at t-mansfield.com> wrote:

> YAY - Congratulations Matt! I only wish that I could have seen your

"happy dance" for becoming the second person in state history to make that
mark. And Wahkiakum was my last county for X200 - it's a wonderful county
but a challenge to bird. Such an achievement is not possible without the
support, reporting and encouragement of so many birders all over the state
and I had that in spades. And you've got to be pretty danged committed to
keep the faith - I always swore I'd switch to stamp collecting when the
going got tough and boring; yes, it can be boring birding when you have so
few ticks to find... The gauntlet is thrown down, who will be next? There
are so many young and talented birders these days. What a way to end
2018. Cheers and bravo, Tom Mansfield.

Behalf Of Matt Bartels

> Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2018 6:42 PM

> To: tweeters at u.washington.edu

> Subject: [Tweeters] Wahkiakum Co. Lesser Goldfinch, and a goal met at the

end of the year

> Hi again -

> Prior to the fun in Pacific Co., I was in Wahkiakum Co. The county first

Lesser Goldfinch reported yesterday by Dalton Spencer was my goal. With a
little looking and playback, it popped right up, just east of the
intersection of Welcome Slough and Schoolhouse Rd.

> That bird was a big ‘tick’ for me — it was #200 for Wahkiakum Co., and my

last county to reach the 200 mark.

> Ever since Tom Mansfield became the first person to reach the 200x39 mark

in 2014, I’ve been plugging away, hoping to eventually reach the same mark.
It took a long time, but I finally got there. It took 26 visits to
Wahkiakum this year to get the last one over the hump.

> Thanks to all the Tweeters & eBirders who have kept their eyes open and

reports public around the state - especially in the toughest corners - the
Dennys in the SE, Terry Little & Jon Isacoff & Donna Bragg in the NE, Russ
Koppendrayer, Randy Hill, Bob Flores & Jim Danzenbaker down in the SW, and
Ken & Laurie Knittle as well as Tom, everywhere.