[Tweeters] Okanogan Day 3 - Winding down

Jon Houghton jon.houghton at hartcrowser.com
Fri Dec 28 20:45:01 PST 2018

Hi Tweets - This morning was icy cool in Omak with temp in the teens and a low fog. Fortunately, the fog seemed to follow the land contours and went up as we climbed up Conconully Rd. We tried to coax a Canyon Wren out of the rocks at the end of the Riverside Cutoff Rd. but without luck. (Has anyone seen them there since the fire a couple of years ago?) In the ranch yard on the left where black angus cattle are treated to hay in the snow, there were the usual Mallards underfoot but also about a half dozen Ring-necked Pheasants, along with 20 or so California Quail. Where Happy Hill Rd. meets Conconully, there was just one lone Sharp-tailed Grouse in a cottonwood, very close to the road. (If only I could get my SX-50 to focus on the bird not the branches!!). In Conconully, we first drove out along the reservoir shore south, where active feeders produced a pair of Cassin's Finches, along with a Hairy Woodpecker and many DE Juncos which were certainly the most abundant bird in town. We look (and tooted) hard for birds out to the end of the road at the Sno-Park but only managed to irritate a couple of RB Nuthatches. In town, in addition to DEJU, there were a fair number of Am. Robins, a single Varied Thrush, and a host of Wild Turkeys and deer at the feeders heading north out of town, where the creek flows under the road. To the east along the Conconully Lake shore, the burned pines yielded a No. Flicker and a couple of Clark's Nutcrackers. From there, we pretty much decided to call it good and head for home to prep for CBC tomorrow. For lunch, we went down the causeway leading to Washburn Island where there was a nice diversity of ducks with good numbers of Canvasback and Redhead along with Am. Widgeon, Bufflehead, and a lone Ring-neck Duck. Happy, Birdy, New Year! - Jon Houghton, Edmonds