[Tweeters] How old is birding???

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 15:59:44 PST 2018

Dear Mary and Tweeters,
Good for you, Mary, for noticing that bit from Dante. I stumbled on it myself a few years ago, and thought it would be a nifty tag to append to my e-mails. I liked it so much that I copied and pasted the original Italian text, complete with obsolete diacritical marks over some of the letters. Now all of my outgoing e-mails bore a crypto-birding message as a sign-off! Secret decoder rings were needed.
I was able to enjoy the use of Dante's words for only a short time, however. After sending a few messages to Tweeters, I began to get exasperated responses from Tweeters whose computers had been zonked into cyber-oblivion! There was something in those diacritical marks that threw a spanner in the works. I ditched Dante, switching to Eichendorff for a while, before giving up altogether on having cute little bird-related messages at the end of all my e-mails!
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch