[Tweeters] How old is birding???

mary hrudkaj mch1096 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 14:49:02 PST 2018

I, like many, have always thought birding was a hobby from only the past century or so. Unless you were an ornithologist. Today, while reading Dante's 'The Purgatory' I found out birding is much older. The first lines of Canto XXIII (23 for the non-Roman numeral crowd) go "The while among the verdant leaves mine eyes I riveted, as he is wont to do who wastes his life pursuing little birds, My more than Father said unto me: "Son, come now; because the time that is ordained us more usefully should be apportioned out."".

I supposed birding then was more of riveting ones eyes on verdant leaves of trees or shrubbery (fetch me a shrubbery). Maybe that time was the birth of both ornithology and the phrase 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'. At least for looking at anyway.

May all your birds be easy to identify in the coming new year. May you be able to apportion out as much time birding as you wish.

Mary Hrudkaj
Belfair/Tahuya