[Tweeters] Okanogan Day 2 - Ravens and Roughies Rule

Jon Houghton jon.houghton at hartcrowser.com
Thu Dec 27 18:49:12 PST 2018

Hi Tweets - A beautiful day in the 20s in the Okanogan Highlands today! Rough-legged Hawks in various plumes seemed to be everywhere, and one aggregation of Ravens numbered about 50 (Paul Baerny, also cruisin' the area, reported that there was an animal carcass nearby that might explain their conviviality.) Beyond those two species, the area was beautiful but mostly bird-free, with a few exceptions. We saw a goodly number of very dark hawks that we put down as Red-tailed/Harlan's. The Nealey Rd feeders seemed to have mainly Am. Goldfinch. On Mary Ann Creek Rd, we found one small group of Common Redpolls and a Northern Shrike. At the crest of the hill just south of the Sitzmark Ski Area, we were impressed by a flock of about 400 Snow Buntings. Havillah Sno Park was lovely but bird free (first grooming of the trails today!). After looking hard for owls all day, at dusk, we finally came across a hunting Long-eared by the prayer flags and stupa just above Fancher Flats. So, a great day of birding in a favorite place. Happy Birding! - Jon Houghton, Edmonds

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone