[Tweeters] End of the year Okanogan adventure - Part one

Jon Houghton jon.houghton at hartcrowser.com
Wed Dec 26 18:36:04 PST 2018

Hi Tweets - Spurred by forecasts for snow in the pass, maybe spilling over into the East side, we headed east this morning. Steven's Pass was indeed snowy, but White-Christmas lovely. Not many birds over Badger Mt or around Waterville. A Northern Shrike, several Roughlegged Hawks, and several large Horned Lark flocks were the highlights for the Plateau. We spent a while driving around the greater Leahy area looking in vain for Sage Grouse but then headed for Bridgeport Hill Rd. There, for the first time, we found Sharp-tailed Grouse in the tops of water Birch at the lowest Grove, as you go up the hill, very close to the road! This is the place where we've been reading about great STGR sightings for years and only seen magpies. But, this was the best photo opp ever and the snow had finally stopped. It was getting pretty dark , but we had just enough light to find a super cute Northern Saw-whet Owl. Tonight in Omak, Okanagan Highlands tomorrow. Happy Birdy New Year! Jon Houghton, Edmonds

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone