[Tweeters] Edmonds CBC Preliminary Report

Rick Taylor taylorrl at outlook.com
Sat Dec 22 23:24:00 PST 2018

Tweeters,
Here are the preliminary results for the 35th Edmonds CBC conducted last Saturday December 15. The weather was great - upper 40's, calm, and dry. We had a record 98 field participants in 38 teams, and 74 feeder counters at 59 locations. The boat party had an excellent day on the water and 4 crow counting teams surveyed 14,890 crows as they headed to their roost on the UW-Bothell campus. We had a great pot-luck with Linda's homemade bread and soup afterwards.
The preliminary tally shows a record 131 species vs a previous high of 129 and the 10-year average of 119, and 35k individuals vs a 10-year average of 42k. We had an additional 5 count week birds. We had several unusual birds:

* Yellow-billed Loon - photographed by the boat party off Whidbey Island's Possession Point
* Clark's Grebe - photographed by the boat party
* Swamp Sparrow - one at North Creek Park in Mill Creek, the other north of Bracket's Landing in Edmonds
* Harris's Sparrow - photographed at Edmonds Marsh
* Pine Grosbeak - seen at a feeder near Thomas Corner in Mill Creek (no, it did not stick around)
* Surfbird - On the Edmonds Marina breakwater
I am missing a report from one field team and a couple of feeder counters, so I will not go into high and low counts right now. A notable miss was Greater Scaup - historically, seen on 94% of the years.

Final results and a more detailed analysis will be available on the Pilchuck Audubon wed site in a couple of weeks. Thank you to everyone who participated.

Rick Taylor
Compiler, Edmonds CBC

Rick Taylor
Everett, WA