[Tweeters] Point Defiance birding -- Humpback Whale

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 14:17:17 PST 2018

After that windy storm yesterday, I went out to check out Point Defiance to
see if anything interesting got blown in. I checked Ruston Way on the way
out, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. At the duck pond at Point
Defiance, a nice pure looking male Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker was
perched on a conifer. Sadly I didn't see any Eurasian Wigeon mixed in with
the many Americans. This is my first time not seeing one here in some 7
years. At the overlooks, a Humpback Whale was quite visible from the Dalco
Passage overlook, and a flyby flock of 8 White-winged Scoters were seen
from the Gig Harbor overlook. I also had a very heavily marked adult Mew
Gull, one that I hoped could perhaps be from the E Asian race, but
unfortunately was too distant to tell for sure (hey, one can dream,
right?). Anyway, an interesting day for sure!

Ebird checklist:

https://ebird.org/pnw/view/checklist/S50847288

Christopher Clark
Sumner, WA