[Tweeters] Possible Yellow-shafted Flicker

Byers byers345 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 20 18:50:55 PST 2018

From: Byers [mailto:byers345 at comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 6:24 PM
To: tweeters at u.washington.edu
Subject: Possible Yellow-shafted Flicker

Hello Tweeters,

I have had a female Northern Flicker visiting my feeder for
several weeks now. She is at least an intergrade, having wings with yellow
shafts and a red crescent across the back of her head. But, being a female,
she has no malar stripes, which I would expect to be black if the bird was
100% yellow-shafted. So my question is, can we tell if this bird is a pure
Yellow-shafted Flicker just by her face color, which is brown, not gray.
Any theories, ideas, assertions out there in Tweeter Land?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29258421@N07/31460827327/in/dateposted-public/

Charlotte Byers, Edmonds