[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 12-20-2018

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Thu Dec 20 17:57:22 PST 2018

Tweeters,
Although the temperature was mild (~54degF), the five of us bucked strong winds, which at times gusted over 25mph, and got hit with one fairly substantial rain shower. Wind pruning of the trees was the norm, but we managed to dodge the flying debris as we worked our way around the JBLM Eagles Pride Golf Course. Most of us thought we wouldn't tally too many species, but 21 was a goodly number, considering the wind and rain. Of note was the GREAT HORNED HOWL we saw winging away through the trees, and the >400 crows that flew in flocks ranging from 3 to 90 from the east toward the Billy Frank Nisqually NWR area. BUFFLEHEAD was the only duck species; and CACKLING GOOSE the only other waterfowl.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

• January 17

• February 21

• March 21

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBirdNW report:

20 species (+1 other taxa)

Cackling Goose 85

Bufflehead 3 At Hodge Lake

Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 2

Anna's Hummingbird 1

Great Blue Heron 1 At the 12th hole pond.

Bald Eagle 1

Red-tailed Hawk 1

Great Horned Owl 1 In the trees on the south side of the 4th hole (Green course) - flew east away from us.

Northern Flicker 3

American/Northwestern Crow 421

Common Raven 3

Black-capped Chickadee 23

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 13

Pacific Wren 3

Golden-crowned Kinglet 21

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5

American Robin 3

House Finch 9

Fox Sparrow 1 In the shrubs next to the maintenance area pond.

Dark-eyed Junco 13

Song Sparrow 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50831188

Happy Holidays, and may all your birds be identified,
Denis

Denis DeSilvis
avnacrs4birds at outlook.com