Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Dec 20 16:06:55 PST 2018

Tweets – It was a pretty awful day, with plenty of dark windy wetness. Only a small group of us were there to suffer through one of the quietest days of the year.

In anticipation of the days getting longer very, very soon now, I heard 2 PACIFIC WRENS, several SONG SPARROWS, at least one GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, and a BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE singing today. I enjoyed their optimism, especially the PACIFIC WREN singing repeatedly at 6:30 a.m., in the pitch darkness, in the rain, down near the Rowing Club dock.

Other highlights:
a.. Cackling Goose – down from 2000 in some recent weeks to perhaps as low as 5 birds today
b.. Wood Duck – three at Rowing Club pond
c.. American Wigeon – one flock overhead for sure, maybe several others
d.. Green Heron – *heard only* at Rowing Club pond
e.. Sharp-shinned Hawk – juvenile
f.. Hairy Woodpecker – at least 1
g.. PEREGRINE FALCON – juvenile landed west of slough – tried hard to turn it into a Prairie, but no luck there :)
h.. Western Meadowlark – Eric had 6-10 near the Viewing Mound. We were beset by awful weather when we arrived, and had none
Misses today included Ring-necked Duck, Common Merganser (one likely candidate could not be confirmed), Wilson’s Snipe, Ring-billed Gull, Cooper’s Hawk, Brown Creeper, Purple Finch, and Red-winged Blackbird.

With that many misses, it’s no surprise that our species tally for the day was just 50.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com