[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 12/19/18

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:25:05 PST 2018

Tweets,

Yesterday 25 of us enjoyed a great day at Nisqually. It got up to 50
degrees with no rain and little wind and the birds cooperated. We had
a 14.0 high tide at 2:10 so we had an incoming tide when we reached
the estuary dike.

There were several highlights including some interesting mammal
sightings. Best birds were the 30+ BALD EAGLES enjoying the Chum
Salmon run in the Nisqually, and the number of other raptors we saw.
We had several NORTHERN HARRIERS, a couple of RED-TAILED HAWKS, 2
PEREGRINE FALCON, a COOPER'S HAWK, and an AMERICAN KESTREL.

Waterfowl were abundant as expected but RING-NECKED DUCKS and COOT
were limited in numbers. We did have a couple of nice mixed flocks of
wintering passerines.

COYOTES stole the show yesterday. We had a juvenile sniffing around
the trash cans at the education center and he hunted the area as we
worked our way through. When last seen he was eating an apple. At the
twin barns overlook we watched an adult COYOTE hunt the area finally
digging into a mole hill and find a nice snack to eat.

The GRAY SQUIRRELS, BLACK-TAILED DEER , and HARBOR SEALS didn't
provide much excitement, but there was a CALIFORNIA SEA LION chasing
salmon near the Nisqually overlook.

For the day I had 48 species and now have 130 for the year.

Until next week...Merry Christmas!

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA