[Tweeters] Thoughts on Winter Feeding of Hummingbirds

Michelle Maani lamoustique at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 12:40:32 PST 2018

When I go walking out in the wildlife refuges in the area, where there are no feeders, I sometimes see Anna's hummingbirds in winter. I think their northward migration may have to do with other factors than feeders.  Perhaps climate change has made the insects they feed on more available to them. When the sun hits just right outside my window (which abuts the Salmon Creek greenbelt) I can see lots of little insects flying around even in the dead of winter. Most of the time they are too small to see with the naked eye.  Their flight patterns make it clear that they are not dust motes...and the fact that they are caught in spider webs.I would hesitate to put something with mammalian proteins or probiotics into a hummingbird feeder. Whey comes from milk.  I do not know how well a hummingbird's digestive system reacts to whey, or what the long-term effects of adding a protein  made to feed a mammal to a hummingbird's diet may be.
Michelle MaaniSalmon CreekVancouver, Washington