[Tweeters] Thoughts on Winter Feeding of Hummingbirds

Jeff Kozma jcr_5105 at charter.net
Thu Dec 13 17:36:07 PST 2018

Great information Charles and Mark. Thank you. I also wanted to point out that Baby formula contains lactose, something birds can’t digest because they don’t drink milk and don’t’ have the enzymes/bacteria in their gut to process it and break it down. In humans, lactose intolerance is an uncomfortable and painful condition. Why feed something containing lactose to hummingbirds, regardless of the concentration, when it has the potential to harm them. Wild birds are free ranging and particularly in western WA are perfectly capable of finding insects during the winter. Even over here in eastern WA, when temps get above 40 F, small flying gnats and other insects are visible in my yard. They can find the protein they need and will survive on sugar water and their stored fat reserves during cold spells.

A version of this post might show again. Apparently my last one was too long because it had everyone’s previous posts on it and awaits moderator approval. Sorry if it shows up again.

Jeff Kozma

Yakima