[Tweeters] Thoughts on Winter Feeding of Hummingbirds

creinsch creinsch at comcast.net
Thu Dec 13 16:56:56 PST 2018

Mark,

I wanted to thank you for writing this.  I had very similar concerns.
In the past, the folks at HUMNET, including banders, ornithologists and
biologists, have consistently advised against mixing supplements of any
kind into feeder nectar to be offered wild birds.  Rehab facilities that
know how to administer and use supplements may have valid reasons to use
them with captive or injured birds, but the average person with a home
feeder has no reason to.

As to the "evidence" that it does not harm the population of wild birds,
it all appears to be anecdotal: "At the end of last winter it appeared
to me that there were as many Anna's hummingbirds as at the beginning."
Unless the birds are banded and recaptured, it is absurd to think they
are the same birds.

In my experience most people, at least in the Seattle area, assume that
all hummingbirds are migratory, and are surprised to learn that some are
resident.  Which is to say they take their feeders down in the winter
when they think the birds have left.  I've even read some bizarre advice
that one should take the feeder down in the winter, so that the hummer
is not persuaded to overstay.  This is nuts.  Instinct is much more
persuasive than sugar water.

Charles Reinsch
Seattle