[Tweeters] Thoughts on Winter Feeding of Hummingbirds

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 13:24:43 PST 2018

Another thing to remember is that Anna's Hummingbirds begin to nest very
early. I've seen a female gathering nest materials in early February, and
have seen several active nests in early March.

They wouldn't be nesting so early if there wasn't good food to eat.

Also, there's no reason to believe that seasonal decreases in feeder use
are caused by population decreases. Breeding will change daily routines
significantly. Also, early season natural food sources may be appearing -
blooming non-native plants, hatching insects - and it would be unsurprising
if the Anna's wouldn't take a bit of a break from feeders if there's other
food available.

I'd be very reluctant to put more than just sugar into hummingbird
feeders. My feeling is that the chance of the juice "going bad" would be
far greater than the chance you'd actually be supplying critical nutrients.

- Michael Hobbs, Kirkland