[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 12/12/18

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 15:54:12 PST 2018

Tweets,

Today 22 of us enjoyed a great day at Nisqually. We had a 14.4 high
tide at 9:30 and it was clear and in the 40s all day. And the birds
cooperated.

Highlights included 17 SNOW GEESE and a pair of PEREGRINE FALCON on a
snag out over the surge plain. Passerines were pretty abundant also.

At the visitor center we had a PEREGRINE in the big fir tree and a
pair of HOODED MERGANSERS on the pond.

The orchard was productive with RED BREASTED SAPSUCKER, DOWNEY
WOODPECKER, 2 ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS, SONG, FOX and GOLDEN-CROWNED
SPARROWS, both KINGLETS and BROWN CREEPER.

The SNOW GEESE flew into the pond area south of the twin barns where
they joined the usual waterfowl in the area. Most of the waterfowl
departed as several BALD EAGLES flew over the area.

Along the boardwalk we had more sparrows and passerines and added
BEWICK'S WREN to our list. At the twin barns we observed the usual
waterfowl but nothing new.

Out on the estuary dike we observed the pair of PEREGRINE FALCONS out
in the restoration area and saw at least 18 BALD EAGLES, mostly along
the Nisqually River. We did have RED-TAILED HAWK and NORTHERN HARRIER
in the area.

The final birds I saw were 3 GREATER YELLOWLEGS in the slough by the
entrance gate as I was leaving the refuge. Look for Shep Thorpe's
ebird report for a complete list of everything seen after I left.

For the day I had 40 species and have 128 for the year. Mammals seen
included COYOTE, spike BLACK-TAILED DEER, and a GRAY SQUIRREL that
decided to join us on the twin barns overlook.

Until next week....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA