[Tweeters] Stanwood Birding situation

Rick Taylor taylorrl at outlook.com
Thu Dec 6 19:13:37 PST 2018

It was *NOT* the house with the US Army flag. The incident was at the first house on 98th with a faded hand lettered sign above the garage reading “Swede’s Funny Farm Shop” Tina and I talked to a number of the homeowners as they came and left. The guy in the last house on the road, where the bird has been seen most frequently, is very friendly. He came out both days that were there and talked about the bird and warned us about the “crazy guy with the shot gun”. We talked to the guy at the second from the last house and told him about the bird. He was non-committal. We never saw anyone at the house of the Veteran with the US Army flag. We talked to the folks that live in a farmstead at the end of the road. They described Swede as “bat-shit crazy”.

Then of course there is ‘Swede’ – the resident at the first house on 98th Ave NW with the “Swede’s Funny Farm Shop” sign. My wife Tina was walking up the road right behind Ann Marie’s car when the incident started, and I was walking along the road about 100ft in front her car. The guy and his wife were both yelling, and Ann Marie was apologizing for pulling into their drive to let the truck and other car pass. Ann Marie and Tina got his wife calmed down very quickly. I decided not to engage in the rant as Tina and Ann Marie had it under control, and injecting another party was not going to help. ‘Swede’ retrieved a shot-gun and mounted the dike and fired at least 3 rounds in the direction of the river. He then went into his driveway and fired three rounds from the hip into bushes on his property along the road. He then unloaded and put the shot-gun into his vehicle and resumed his rant. His wife got visibly nervous and pointed out that it was hunting season and that he had a valid hunting license and could legally hunt on their property. He eventually ranted himself out and he and his wife left in the vehicle. I did not see him point the weapon at anyone nor did I hear him threaten anyone nor did I observe any unsafe weapons handling. My impression was that he was trying to scare away birds so that we would all leave.

If you want to chase the bird, remember that there is no parking anywhere along the road. There are no sidewalks, so walk on the edge of the road. The dike is private and posted with no trespassing signs, so stay off it. All the property is private, so stay on the road. I recommend parking in Stanwood and walking. It’s not far.

Rick

Rick Taylor
Everett, WA